Anything about food and soccer ( 2 of my favourite activities )

Monday 13 May 2013

Food photos from Beijing


I just realised that I have not written any article for almost 1.5 years!  
 
Recently I visited my friend in Beijing.
It was my first visit to Beijing and managed to visit the Forbidden City as well as the Summer Palace and the Bird Nest Stadium among a number of attraction.
 
The below is some of the dishes that I had during my stay over there.
One thing observed about the style of cooking in Beijing is that they are used a lot of oil to cook and the seasoning is more heavy.
 
My friend was joking that I should enjoy the food without looking at the amount of oil.   
 
Stirred fried pork with mushroom ( Quite nice though oily)
Meat Dumpling. When we ordered we expect like a serving of 6 pieces and we got a shock when we were served the above. Taste wise it was rather bland as the skin was too thick though the pork filling was not bad.



Stirred fried beef. My friend told me the beef was very tender. Again it was oily.


Hot and Sour soup. Not really nice.


Though the dishes above and an additional plate of noodles stirred fried with pork were mix in review with some nicer than others, the price for the entire meal above was about 130 yuan which is about 20 plus Singapore dollar for 3 people. 
 
For dinner, my friend brought me to a restaurant which is supposed to be famous for the Peking Duck .
 

 
Entrance to the restaurant

Open concept Kitchen area specially for Peking Duck preparation. You can see in the background, the open flame which is by burning specially selected wood.

Condiment to go along with the Peking Duck. Some are the usual items though there is a couple of interesting additional items.

Roast Pork. Nice presentation and the roast pork skin was very crispy and the meat was juicy. Yummy :)

Long Jing tea that is been brewed

Roast pork together with the skin to go along with the Peking Duck. The skin is usual but the biscuit at the top is more unusual. It is like a sesame biscuit which is hollow in the centre.

Peking duck been served. As can see there is a layer of meat together with the crispy skin.

Complimentary dessert which is Strawberry.

 
The Peking duck was excellent though I think the duck is a bit smaller than the ones you can get in Singapore. We were too full from lunch hence ordered less for dinner.

No comments: